Category Archives: Open Office

Microcode bug!

We noticed that our Freebox (ADSL modem) hadn’t updated the time last weekend when we all set our clocks forward by one hour; it seems that the microcode uses some library elements which are open source from µClibc who you can find on the web. Evidently it’s a known bug in our box and others from Free (our ISP) that will only occur in certain leap years when other conditions are met, since it’s once every 27 years I’m not holding my breath for a microcode update to the box! As predicted, the clock corrected this weekend and should be good now until 2039!

Advertisements

Ubuntu One Cloud

Ubuntu One has recently been updated such that the Windows version now has a folder, just like the Linux version and additionally they have increased the storage from 2Gig to 5Gig, with more of course available for a reasonable charge. Worth a look if you aren’t already using it. .
Previously the only way to access Ubuntu One from a windows PC was to go online to your Ubuntu One home page, now it’s much easier and quicker!

Switch to ‘LibreOffice’

Since “change is constant”, I have installed LibreOffice this week. Its a rewrite of OpenOffice done by a spin-off group of folks from the OpenOffice world  The Document Foundation who wanted to keep the OpenOffice  code as Open Source. (They were apparently concerned about the code becoming proprietary now that Oracle has bought Sun). They have done a lot of work to clean up the code and whilst I can’t honestly say it seems any slicker than Oo, that’s always a good thing to have some housekeeping. It certainly runs without any problems on Vista and the next Ubuntu release will have this as the default office suite. If you have used Oo then switching is easy and if you haven’t then give it a try, see my previous post on this topic if you are hesitant to make the change.

Move to Open Office is worth the effort

I have been dabbling with the OO applications for a while now, and after having set my default template to handle A4 paper size etc. have been using the spreadsheet without problems including some vertical look-up tables and other structures. The writer is easy for a basic document but now that I have invested a little time to go further I find it is every bit as good as MS Word for my needs. The last task I have done is to print a mail merge of address labels for our Xmas cards. Two things held me up a little; on Ubuntu, the database application of OO is not automatically installed and this delayed the integration of my address book which I had long ago exported from Outlook to a spreadsheet; and then once that done I had to re-learn the OO way of merging (which has some nice features not in Word to customize your work), it’s not a 100 miles different from Word but one has to become accustomed to the OO interfaces and jargon. All in all worth the effort!! Next task is to play with integrating some MySQL stuff. I found good tips in this blog: OpenOffice.blogs.com